My mom lives in Bayview, TX where the orchards are plentiful. I made this cocktail with fresh ponderosa lemons from her neighbor’s tree. A ponderosa lemon is a hybrid between a pomelo and a citron, they taste just like a lemon but are a very unique fruit. I also used Bayview honey, from the gentleman down the road that sells local honey, it has a hint of citrus from all of the bees that pollinate around the orchards. Much of the state’s citrus originates from the Rio Grande Valley, so I found it suiting to use this lemon and local honey for this fun and refreshing drink.
- 2 ounces añejo or reposado tequila
- 3/4 ounce fresh lemon juice
- 3/4 ounce honey
- 1/2 ounce grand marnier
- lemon wheel for garnish
- For the salted rim, take a lemon wedge and coat the rim of an old fashioned glass. Dip in margarita salt, rotating until coated.
- Combine all ingredients (except for the ice) in a cocktail shaker. Stir vigorously until honey fully dissolves into the cocktail.
- Add a cup of ice and shake vigorously for 10 seconds. Pour straight into the old fashioned glass with the (now crushed) ice from the shaker. Garnish with a lemon wheel.
Be sure to dissolve the honey into the drink before adding ice. This is to prevent the honey from freezing/clumping when shaking.