As I was reminiscing of sitting on the porch with my Grandmother drinking iced tea on a warm day, I was reminded of this dessert. Made with a buttery shortbread bottom and a sweet lemon custard top, this southern baking classic can be made with only 5 ingredients and whip up quickly just in time to head over to your neighbor’s last minute dinner party or summer picnic. It’s so easy to throw together a batch of these delicious and tangy treats; it will be one of your favorites just like it is mine.
FOR THE PASTRY BASE
- 1 cup cold butter, cut in small pieces
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 cups flour
FOR THE LEMON LAYER
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1/4 cup flour
- 4 eggs
- zest of two lemons, very finely chopped
- juice of 2 lemons, about 2/3 to 3/4 cup juice
TO MAKE THE PASTRY BASE
- Using a pastry cutter or in a food processor blend together the butter sugar and flour.
- Press evenly into the bottom of a greased and parchment paper lined 9×13 inch baking pan.
- Bake for 20 to minutes at 350 degrees F ( 325 degrees F if you are using glass bake-ware) The bottom should just be beginning to brown slightly at the top edges.
FOR THE LEMON TOPPING
- Simply whisk together the sugar flour, eggs, zest and lemon juice until the sugar is dissolved.
- Allow the topping to sit for about 10 minutes before whisking together well again and pouring over the baked shortbread base.
- Bake at 350 degrees F for about another 20- 25 minutes or until the top is slightly browned and the custard appears to be set. Cool completely. Sprinkle with confectioners sugar when cool.