Growing up, one of my absolute all-time favorite meals was chicken pot pie. I loved the Marie Callender’s frozen personal pot pies so much, it was ultimate comfort for me with a glass of milk on the side. My Mom was a from-scratch cook, but every once in a while she would have cheat meals such as this, and kept the frozen pies on hand for me for when I wanted to make a weekend meal on my own. To this day, Marie Callender’s pot pies are still a favorite for me, as they bring back a lot of nostalgia. But my tastes buds have evolved and so have my cooking abilities, so I wanted to find a recipe that gave me that same comfort I always had, but made by me. The creamy and savory gravy, fresh vegetables, and pulled dark and white meat chicken inside a flaky and buttery crust takes me back and brings me all the good feels. This is perfect anytime but especially on a chilly winter night!
- 3/4 cup sliced carrot
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1/3 cup diced onion
- 1/3 cup sliced celery
- 1 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup milk
- 3 cups shredded or diced chicken from white and dark meat pieces
- 1 cup peas
- 2 refrigerated pie crusts
- 1 egg beaten together with 1 tablespoon water to make an egg wash
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Place carrots in a small saucepan, cover with water, and bring to a boil for 5-8 minutes to soften. Drain.
- Melt 1/2 cup butter in a large sauté pan. Add onions and celery and sauté for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add salt, pepper, thyme, and poultry seasoning. Sprinkle flour on top and cook for 1 minute, stirring to evenly cook the flour.
- Gradually whisk in chicken broth and then milk. Add carrots and let simmer for a few minutes to thicken. Check for seasoning and add more salt and pepper if desired.
- Stir in chicken and peas. Turn heat off.
- Fit 1 pie crust into the bottom of a deep dish pie plate. Pour filling into pie shell.
- Place second pie crust on top and trim excess. Press the two pie crusts together to seal and crimp edge using your fingers.
- Brush egg white on top of the pot pie and use a knife to cut 4 slits to let steam escape.
- Place on a baking sheet and place in oven and bake for 30 minutes.